Monday, November 16, 2015

"The Monkees" Alternate Song Track Guide


When “The Monkees” makes its Blu-ray debut as a limited edition box set on January 29, 2016, it will arrive with enough bonus material to stuff the trunk of the Monkeemobile. Aside from the feature film Head, the most important of these bonuses will be alternate song tracks that Monkee-wrangler Andrew Sandoval recently announced will be part of the set. These tracks are so important because not all of us were lucky enough to watch the series when it originally aired. So if you caught episodes for the first time as reruns during the summer 1967 hiatus or as Saturday afternoon reruns during the 1969-1970 season, you may be used to very different songs in certain episodes. In some cases, the replacements greatly changed the tone of the episode. Imagine The Monkees frugging in Hell (“The Devil and Peter Tork”) to the insipid “I Never Thought It Peculiar” instead of the acidic “Salesman”. Whoops!

As someone who wasn’t even born during those years, I first discovered “The Monkees” in the mid-80s when it aired on MTV, Nick-at-Night, and in syndication on weekday mornings on channel 9 WOR-TV in New York. These reruns were a jumble of the originally aired episodes, 1967 replacements, and in a couple of cases, ’69/’70 replacements. As a nostalgia junkie, I long to rewatch “The Monkees” with the songs I remember from my youth. In “Success Story”, Davy forever broods on the beach to “Shades of Grey”, not “I Wanna Be Free”. “Midnight Train” is the soundtrack to the guys getting ready for their big party in “The Chaperone”, not “This Just Doesn’t Seem to Be My Day”.

Now, Sandoval apparently said that there will be alternate song tracks for “some” episodes. This is either a reference to the fact that only 32 of the 58 episodes aired with alternate songs or that only some of those 32 episodes will appear with alternate songs. We will only know when all the specs of the still-a-work-in-progress- box set are announced. In any event, if only some of the episodes that aired with alternate songs are included, you may want to figure out which ones are present and which ones are absent. I know I will, but when I went looking for a guide to the episodes that featured alternate songs in reruns, I couldn’t find one. Thanks a lot, Internet! Steve Urkel has his own Wikipedia page, but I can’t find some pretty basic information on one of the most enduring TV shows of the sixties.

So, with a little (lot of) help from Andrew Sandoval’s essential book The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story of the 60s TV Pop SensationI put together my own guide to the alternate song tracks used on reruns of “The Monkees”. Maybe you’ll find it useful too.

1967: Summer Hiatus Reruns


Monkee See, Monkee Die”: “A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You” replaces “Tomorrow’s Gonna Be Another Day”

Royal Flush”: “You Told Me” replaces “This Just Doesn’t Seem to Be My Die” and
The Girl I Knew Somewhere” replaces “Take a Giant Step

Monkee vs. Machine”: “You Told Me” replaces “Saturday’s Child”

Success Story”: “Shades of Grey” replaces “I Wanna Be Free”

The Spy Who Came in from the Cool”: “Randy Scouse Git” replaces “Saturday’s Child”

Captain Crocodile”: “Pleasant Valley Sunday” replaces “Your Auntie Grizelda”

Monkees in a Ghost Town”: “Words” replaces “Your Auntie Grizelda”

The Case of the Missing Monkee”: “Pleasant Valley Sunday” replaces “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone”

Monkee Chow Mein”: “Words” replaces “Your Auntie Grizelda”

Here Come The Monkees”: “Shades of Grey” replaces “I Wanna Be Free” (slow version)

One Man Shy”: “Forget That Girl” replaces “I’m a Believer”

The Monkees on Tour”: “Pleasant Valley Sunday” replaces “The Girl I Knew Somewhere” and “Words” replaces “I’m a Believer”

1969-1970: Saturday Afternoon Reruns

I’ve Got a Little Song Here”: “For Pete's Sake” replaces “Mary Mary”

Royal Flush”: “Apples, Peaches, Bananas, and Pears” replaces “This Just Doesn’t Seem to Be My Die” and “Good Clean Fun” replaces “Take a Giant Step

 I Was a Teenage Monster”: “Good Clean Fun” replaces “Your Auntie Grizelda”

Monkee vs. Machine: “Listen to the Band” replaces “Saturday’s Child”

Monkees on the Line”: “Little Girl” replaces “Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)”

Mijacogeo”: “I Never Thought It Peculiar” replaces “Zor & Zam”

Success Story”: “French Song” replaces “I Wanna Be Free”

Don’t Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth”: “I Never Thought It Peculiar” replaces “All the Kings Horses”

The Wild Monkees”: “Looking for the Good Times” replaces “Star Collector”

One Man Shy”: “If I Knew” replaces “I’m a Believer”

The Monkees Get Out More Dirt”: “Steam Engine” replaces “The Girl I Knew Somewhere”

The Devil and Peter Tork”: “I Never Thought It Peculiar” replaces “Salesman”

The Chaperone”: “Midnight Train” replaces “This Just Doesn’t Seem to Be My Day”

I’ve Got a Little Song Here”: “Steam Engine” replaces “Mary Mary”

Monkees in the Ring”: “Looking for the Good Times” replaces either “Laugh” or “I’ll Be Back on My Feet”

Dance, Monkee, Dance”: “If You Have the Time” replaces “I’ll Be Back on My Feet” or “I’m a Believer”

Monkees a la Mode”: “Oh My My” replaces “Laugh”

Hitting the High Seas: “Oh My My” replaces “Daydream Believer”

Monkees in Manhattan”: “Acapulco Sun” replaces “Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)”

Your Friendly Neighborhood Kidnappers”: “Do You Feel It Too” replaces either “Let’s Dance On”, “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone”, or “Last Train to Clarksville”

Monkees on Tour”: “Steam Engine” replaces “The Girl I Knew Somewhere”

Monkees Marooned”: “Do You Feel It Too” replaces either “What Am I Doing Hangin’ ‘Round” or “Daydream Believer”

The Spy Who Came in from the Cool”: “All Alone in the Dark” replaces either “The Kind of Girl I Could Love”, “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone”, “All the Kings Horses”, or “Saturday’s Child”

The Prince and the Pauper”: “99 Pounds” replaces “Mary Mary”

The Monstrous Monkee Mash”: “By Bye, Baby, Bye Bye” replaces “Goin’ Down”

"A Coffin Too Frequent": "Oklahoma Backroom Dancer" replaces either "Daydream Believer" or "Goin' Down"

"Monkees in Paris": "Tell Me Love" replaces (presumably) "Don't Call on Me" 
All written content of Psychobabble200.blogspot.com is the property of Mike Segretto and may not be reprinted or reposted without permission.